Questions about UNIX viruses

Robert Raisch raisch at Control.COM
Tue Apr 2 08:51:27 AEST 1991

dag at esleng.ocunix.on.ca (Dave Gilmour) writes:

>1)	Are viruses a problem on UNIX machines that are connected to the
>	net?  We do not accept binary UNIX sources on our machine, so I
>	presume that trojans are more likely to be a problem than viruses.

Not in my experience.  Though the Internet Worm episode does make a lot
of people edgy.

It should be noted that the Worm used WELL KNOWN trapdoors and flaws in
systems software to attack.  Both Sun and Dec were aware of these security
holes as far back as 1980.  Thus it becomes a question of, who is culpable
and how do we get the suppliers of systems software to secure their products?

IMHO, the Worm episode was a good thing.  (*flames >/nev/dull*)

>2)	If viruses are out there ready to infect my UNIX machine, is there
>	any software that I can run to detect/remove them from my machine?

None that I am aware of, though a good network monitoring program can tell
volumes, (if you are conversant in the various net protocols.)

>3)	What steps should I take in order to "reduce the risk" |-)

If you compile a source distribution that you have received from the net
on your machine:

		READ THE SOURCE!!!!
		UNDERSTAND WHAT IT IS DOING!!!!

An ounce of prevention, blah blah blah.

>Any help in the matter will be greatly appreciated. As always, if there is
>sufficient interest I will summarize to the net.

I felt that this response would be of general interest, thus I posted.

>Thanks.

No prob.
--
"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti." -Lector