Powerfailure daemon ??? (Help/inspiration needed)

Boyd Ostroff ostroff at Oswego.EDU
Fri Apr 12 13:27:45 AEST 1991

In article <mds.671373695 at iddth2> mds at iddth.id.dk (Impedantzer (EMP)) writes:
> He is working in
>a company where they use a HP 375 Unix box for datalogging. It is
>vital that the machine is shut down in a controlled manner (i.e. closing
>all open files, etc.) in case of a powerfailure.

>Here comes the interesting part: they have the UPS but they *don't* have
>the daemon to shut down the machine.

Sure, see the recently posted "upsd" program in comp.sources.misc; it does
exactly what you want!  Also, you might look up the "Wizard's Grabbag"
article entitled "Graceful UPS Shutdowns and Calendar Cleanup" on page
119 of the February 1990 issue of UNIX WORLD Magazine.

It details a very simple hardware project which can provide a power failure
signal for the garden-variety (eg: cheap) UPS and also the software needed
to monitor it.  By combining the information in this article and the
upsd program from comp.sources.misc, anyone should be able to implement
a very nice system like this for a modest cost.  I plan to (when I get
the time.... :-)