MONEY_FOR_BANKS offer

Brian Fitzgerald fitz at mml0.meche.rpi.edu
Wed Apr 17 04:49:57 AEST 1991

David C. Tuttle writes:
> that I write:
><
>< For anyone who is interested, on April 8, someone placed a commercial
>< announcement for a "credit card indemnification club" in world writable
>< anonymous ftp directories from here to Finland.

>We've now shut off "world-writable" FTP permissions.

Please reconsider.

I never intended to mean sysadmins everywhere should shut down the
"incoming" side of anonymous ftp.  It's one of the easiest ways I know
to submit a large package to an archive (it's also a potential way to
introduce a worm or virus, so watch out!), or for users to exchange
large amounts of data conveniently or to exchange software packages or
conference papers, and so on.

Part of "open computing" is dealing with, or just putting up with stuff
like this on the rare occasions it happens.  How much to tolerate
depends on your threshold and your schedule.

Please don't turn off "incoming", everybody!

By the way, this is my opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the
policy of the RPI site administration, but I sure do appreciate their
input (Thanks Herb!)

Brian
--
We need to secure as many banks in our computer banks as possible.  We
don't want no one else's help, but yours.  Miller's Comsumer Service