References needed

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Thu Apr 4 02:48:21 AEST 1991

  I don't know about device drivers or NFS, but I know a bit about Kerberos.

  The file /pub/usenix/kerberos.PS on athena-dist.mit.edu is a paper about
Kerberos IV presented at a previous Usenix convention.  It's a good high-level
discussion of what kerberos does and how it does it.

  There's also some stuff in /pub/kerberos/doc you might find interesting.  In
fact, the usenix.PS in that directory is probably the same as
/pub/usenet/kerberos.PS.

  If you don't have anonymous ftp access, this stuff is accessible via archive
server; send mail to archive-server at athena-dist.mit.edu with subject and body
of "help" to find out how to work the archive server.

  Remember that most of the high-level (i.e. readable :-) discussions of what
Kerberos is for and how it works are based on Kerberos IV, not Kerberos V, the
revision which is currently being designed and will be going into testing soon
(yeah, right :-).  The basic ideas haven't changed, but things may not be 100%
accurate in the papers about Kerberos IV.  Unfortunately, I don't think anyone
has written revised versions to talk about Kerboers V.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace