understaffing apparent due to mailer trouble

Bruce Barnett barnett at grymoire.crd.ge.com
Thu Apr 18 00:24:50 AEST 1991

In article <280B6561.7A2 at tct.com> chip at tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>   >Second [...] nor do I want to maintain a single sendmail.cf file for
>   >every possible variation of Unix that might be out there.
>
>   That actually might be a reasonable possibility, I should think --
>   especially if the sendmail.cf in question is a simplified one such as
>   was recently posted by Ying-Da Lee.

Only if all machines use the name type of name system. (YP, DNS, Bind,
/etc/hosts). Not likely.

It is not possible to use the same sendmail.cf file on every machine
in this building, let alone use the same one at hundreds of different
sites. Supporting sendmail on a dozen different operating systems is
not something I want to commit too.

>   >Fourth, some sites don't even have "system managers".  I consider
>   >myself lucky if I find someone willing to fix the problems that exist.

>   Sounds like the real problem is one of staffing.  As such, any
>   technical solution is bound to be nothing more than a band-aid.

I agree. But if I can spend 30 seconds to fix something in a sendmail
rule, and if it makes the problem go AWAY, then it makes a lot of
sense to me. I can't solve other sites problems, but I can solve my own
with sendmail. Yes - it's a band-aid. Better a band-aid than letting
someone bleed to death all over my carpet. :-)
--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett at crdgw1.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett