understaffing apparent due to mailer trouble

Chip Salzenberg chip at tct.com
Wed Apr 17 06:58:09 AEST 1991

According to barnett at crdgw1.ge.com:
>In article <2801C2BB.29BD at tct.com> chip at tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>>>	user at XYZ.com.user@anything.arpa
>>
>>I am slack-jawed with amazement that any postmaster would jump through
>>hoops to fix an address so badly broken, instead of telling the people
>>in charge of domain XYZ to get a life.  Er, a mailer.
>
>First of all, we all work for the same company.

My condolences.

>Second [...] nor do I want to maintain a single sendmail.cf file for
>every possible variation of Unix that might be out there.

That actually might be a reasonable possibility, I should think --
especially if the sendmail.cf in question is a simplified one such as
was recently posted by Ying-Da Lee.

>Third, the expertise required to send up a properly configured mail
>system is not something you can learn by reading the vendor's manuals.

Of course.  :-(

>Fourth, some sites don't even have "system managers".  I consider
>myself lucky if I find someone willing to fix the problems that exist.

Sounds like the real problem is one of staffing.  As such, any
technical solution is bound to be nothing more than a band-aid.
--
Brand X Industries Custodial, Refurbishing and Containment Service:
         When You Never, Ever Want To See It Again [tm]