nslookup works, but ping, finger, telnet, et al don't : HELP!

Allan Bailey fab9452 at tamsun.tamu.edu
Thu Apr 4 01:51:56 AEST 1991

 Over the weekend I brought up and installed a Sun 4/490, SunOS 4.1.1 .

 The problem is that our named seems to not be working properly, and I can't
figure it at all.

 Symptoms:

  sendmail to off-campus sites returns complaining about "mailer world unknown"

  ping and finger say "unknown host"

  nslookup works fine.

 Question:

  Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?

  any help would be appreciated.

Allan Bailey           |Disclaimer: The views expressed herein are not
fab9452 at tamsun.tamu.edu|those of Texas A&M.  void where prohibited,