Sys Admin Salary Info Needed (Salary Survey?)

christina boyko boyko at rastro.uucp
Fri Apr 26 07:53:08 AEST 1991

Greetings.

Back in january I took a survey of "How many administrators/machine do you
need to keep a network running" because The Bosses wanted to axe my partner.

In case those of you who responded didn't get my personal thankyou notes,
Thanks to all who responded.

(For those of you who lost sleep because of you concern for me, I wanted to
let you know that they didn't totally get rid of him, just changed some of
his duties. I still have him on site to support me in a pinch.  Thank god.
Mom (me) and baby (my network) are doing well.....)

Well, now they want to CUT MY SALARY. (I've been a "consultant" for over
a year and they want to make me an "employee".  They think that I should
be happy to have my salary cut 30% for the sake of  "Security".  Of course,
I'm NOT happy. I want cash, not security ) They claim that they are offering
industry standard. I think they are offering too little.

Has anyone done a salary survey of UNIX system administrators recently on the
net? Does anyone know of one?  I'm looking for numbers in the commercial
world. (Having worked for many years in academia, I KNOW those numbers are
way too low...)

Thanks bunches for any help.  If there isn't any data available, I'd be glad to
compile it.

---Christina Boyko
    System Administrator (aka Systems Wench)

    uunet!rastro!boyko