free space on filesystems

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sun Apr 7 04:24:46 AEST 1991

brinich at keinstr.UUCP (Mark Brinich) writes:
>Seems to me that keeping the default 10% of disk space to be accessible
>only by root is wasteful in most cases.  In fact it seems that / &

First off, try putting some returns in your posts (so the entire thing
isn't on a single line.

Now, as to your question.  The 10% isn't really being reserved for root. The
10% isn't writable by normal users because when the UFS file system gets
above 90% full performance suffers significantly.

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170