Kmem security (was: Re: How do you make your UNIX crash ???)

Mickey Boyd boyd at nu.cs.fsu.edu
Tue Apr 9 11:59:57 AEST 1991

In article <638 at minya.UUCP>, jc at minya.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:

>> Safer would be:
>> strings /dev/kmem | tr ' ' '^J' | sort -u | more
>> and do a /rootpassword
>
>OK; that didn't crash the system; I just got a few random-looking strings,
>followed by::
>	/rootpassword: Command not found.
>What was it supposed to do?  Maybe I'm not a real Unix hacker, after
>all; I haven't even heard of a "rootpassword" command.  Am I missing
>something good?  I also looked around on some of the BSD and Ultrix
>systems at work, and there was nothing called "rootpassword" anywhere
>in any of their filesystems.

This was to invoke a search for the string "rootpassword" in more.  It is
not a standalone command, it is a modifier within more.  It could be argued
that it is one of the more useful features of more.  My question is why
the string "rootpassword" would be anywhere (perhaps the poster intended
for the real root password to be substituted, just to show how easy it
can be found.  A potential intruder would have to try all the strings
found, but this is still a drastically reduced searchspace).

--
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "Kirk to Enterprise.  All clear