Kmem security (was: Re: How do you make your UNIX crash ???)

Dave Turner dmturne at PacBell.COM
Fri Apr 5 06:24:46 AEST 1991

In article <638 at minya.UUCP> jc at minya.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:
.In article <1991Mar24.203327.18426 at ttank.ttank.com>, tts at ttank.ttank.com (Karl Bunch) writes:
.> In <601 at minya.UUCP> jc at minya.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:
.> >There have been some claims that getting passwords from the kernel is
.> >"easy".  I'd like to see an example of how easy it is.  It strikes me
.> >as being not very easy at all.  Well, sure, I can read all of kmem into..
.>
.> Try this.. Login as root:
.>
.> time strings /dev/kmem | grep rootpassword | wc -l
.>
.> You'll be surprised.
.
.I tried it; I wasn't at all surprised.  It gave me no output at all.
.What was it supposed to do?  This is a Sys/V.3 system.  I tried it

I'd be surprised if a least one user didn't learn your rootpassword
by typing a ps (ps -ef on system v) while you were running this command.

The security exposure of running a grep with root's clear password is
much greater than someone getting it from /dev/kmem.

--
Dave Turner	415/823-2001	{att,bellcore,sun,ames,decwrl}!pacbell!dmturne