Preventing date rollback

John Chambers jc at minya.UUCP
Mon Jan 14 03:52:09 AEST 1991

> If the copy protection causes daily interference in one's life, then I
> would say that the protection was a hassle, and dump the product.  On the
> other hand, the customer needs to consider the needs of the author(s).
> Assuming that no one pointed a gun at your head and said "buy this software",
> you made a choice, and with that choice comes rules.  Live with it or
> get out.

Sorry, but despite how macho and righteous this may sound in print,
it wouldn't last very long in most courts.  Consider a scenario:

	You are lying on the operating table, surrounded by physicians,
	nurses, and a lot of electronic monitoring equipment.  It's a
	long operation, during which time the clock rolls past midnight.
	A software package on one of the monitors determines that the
	hospital's license for this package on this machine has run out,
	and it shuts itself down.  The staff can't figure out how to
	get it running again, and you die.

Your estate naturally sues the hospital and the software vendor.  The
vendor's lawyer makes the mistake of letting a company representative
make the above statement in court.  The prosecution points out that it
is an admission of not just guilt, but of malicous intent.  The company
is now legally liable for your death.  If the programmer and/or manager
that decided to implement this copy protection scheme can be determined,
he/she is likely to be charged with (negligent) manslaughter or homicide.

[The people who write warranties tend to be aware that there's a fine
legal line between disclaimers and admissions of guilt.  That's why
they are phrased in vague language that nowhere states just what the
limitations of the product are.]

Anyway, watch the papers; it's just a matter of time ...

Myself, I think I'll forgo the copy protection.  (Maybe I should also
remove the BUGS section of the manual pages, too. ;-)

--
All opinions Copyright (c) 1991 by John Chambers.  Inquire for licensing at:
Home: 1-617-484-6393