Problem with dump

Bill Braden bbraden at mesrx.UUCP
Thu Jan 31 04:55:11 AEST 1991

Using dump under Ultrix V3.1 and trying to do a level 0 dump of /usr
I am getting the following result:
# dump 0sf 4800 /dev/nrmt0h /usr
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Wed Jan 30 08:47:29 1991
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/rra0c (/usr) to /dev/nrmt0h
  DUMP: Mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
  DUMP: Mapping (Pass II) [directories]

  DUMP: Estimates based on 4800 feet of tape at a density of 10240
BPI...
  DUMP: This dump will occupy 13296 (10240 byte) blocks on 0.39 tape(s).

  DUMP: Dumping (Pass III) [directories]
  DUMP: Dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]

		********************
  DUMP: (This should not happen)bread from /dev/rra0c [block 69872]:
count=8192, got=-1
		********************

  DUMP: 13295 tape blocks were dumped on 1 tape(s)

  DUMP: Dump is done
Apparently this should not happen, but it does.  Problem only occures on
level 0 dumps.  fsck finds no problems with the file system.  I am doing
this with the file system mounted (and probably active).  System is a
microvax II and the disk is an RD54, /usr is the only file system on the
disk and covers the entire disk.  Are these dumps worth the tape they
are written on? Is there a way to clear this?

Please no lectures about dumping active file systems.  That subject has
already been covered.  Besides life is not without risk.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill Braden
!uunet!mesrx!bbraden		"Onward Through The Fog"