remote printing from HP Unix system

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.uucp
Sat Jun 22 02:12:12 AEST 1991

In article <gcMBnX600VoTE_bkVj at andrew.cmu.edu> Ching-Ping Tseng writes:
>Excerpts from netnews.comp.unix.admin:
>> 4-Jun-91 Re: remote printing from HP..  Paul Hite at prcrs.prc.com (1531)}
>> > I have a user using an HP Unix system, trying to print remotely

etc.

I don't know if this is exactly what you need but Greg Woods (woods at robohack)
and I have put together a remote printing facility using UUCP which works
quite well.  In fact I have two jobs being directed to a client's printer
as I write this.  The idea is to keep the standard printer semantics as
local printers.  Here is a sample command

  sort file_name | pr -f | lp -d lp5

where 'lp5' is actually at another site connected by UUCP.  I suppose you
could even make the remote printer the default printer.

The file is compressed before it is sent to the remote system but if you
were to do:

  lp -d lp5 file.Z

it recognizes it (through a change to /etc/magic, not by noticing the .Z
extension) as a compressed file and skips that stage.

I will post the script to alt.sources today.  We call it rprint.

Printer 'bdg' is actually on a syste
--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy at druid)     |
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   There's no government