remote printing from HP Unix system

Paul Hite paul at prcrs.prc.com
Wed Jun 5 02:15:58 AEST 1991

In article <3882 at tdw206.ed.ray.com>, heiser at tdw206.ed.ray.com (Bill Heiser - Unix Sys Admin) writes:
> I have a user using an HP Unix system, trying to print remotely
> either using lp or lpr to a Sun system.

Well, for starters, how was the printer definition set up on the hp?  It's easy
to get it wrong.  Since it isn't working anyway, try removing and re-adding it:

	#! /bin/sh
	HOST=<name of remote host goes here>
	PRINT=<name of printer on remote host goes here>
	HPPRINT=<name of printer on hp system goes here>
	/usr/lib/lpshut
	/usr/lib/lpadmin -x$HPPRINT
	/usr/lib/lpadmin -p$HPPRINT -mrmodel -v/dev/null -ocmrcmodel \
		-osmrsmodel -orm$HOST -orp$PRINT -ob3
	# assuming that HPPRINT should be the default printer:
	/usr/lib/lpadmin -d$HPPRINT
	/usr/lib/lpsched

The syntax is very picky.  Do not introduce any spaces in the above commands.

If it still doesn't work, look in /usr/spool/{log,lpd.log} to see there are
any useful messages.  You can get more stuff in lpd.log by adding a -l to the
invocation of rlpdaemon.  This might be in /etc/rc or /etc/inetd.conf.

If you don't see any errors on the hp side I would suspect the sun.  I'm not
familiar with suns, but we have remote printed from hp's to ultrix boxes and
vice versa.

I have never seen the symptom of print jobs just disappearing.  I hope you
post a followup when you track it down.  Good luck.

Paul Hite   PRC Realty Systems  McLean,Va   paul at prcrs.prc.com    (703) 556-2243
        You can't tell which way the train went by studying its tracks.