parameters for (r)dump to an exabyte

Greg Frazier frazier at oahu.cs.ucla.edu
Fri Jun 21 02:37:04 AEST 1991

janet at cs.uwa.oz.au (Janet Jackson) writes:

>In <1991Jun19.222701.29689 at cs.ucla.edu> frazier at oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Greg Frazier) writes:

>>Hello -
>>	Could somebody give me the appropriate parameters for
>>doing a dump to an exebyte tape (2 gbyte)?  For the record,
>>what I just tried was
>>	dump 0usdf 6000 54000 /dev/rst1 filesystem
>>as specified in the man page.  Thanks for any help.

>And what went wrong?

>I'm using the same parameters, except I'm using a blocksize of 126, and it
>seems to work fine.  (Don't think I've ever reached the end of a tape yet,
>though :-{ )  (that's supposed to be a look of consternation)

For the curious, here is the context.  I am writing a dump script,
and was testing/debugging it.  An error msg similar to this appeared
on the console:

	error on /dev/rst1: bad length parameter

Let me say now that I'm a novice at system hacking.  I did
a (mt -f /dev/rst1 fsf 1) to skip a 10 meg file at the front
of the tape, and attempted to dump 2 file systems onto the tape.
These should have come to much less than 1 gig, let alone 2.3 gigs.
I was not planning on keeping track of the amnt of tape already
used, but rather to guarentee that the file systems being dumped
on a single tape together had a lower capacity than the tape.  It
has been suggested to me that rdump'ing w/out specifying a blocksize
is bad news - I'll try that as my first correction.
--

Greg Frazier	frazier at CS.UCLA.EDU	!{ucbvax,rutgers}!ucla-cs!frazier