installing new kernels

Chris Lewis clewis at ferret.ocunix.on.ca
Sun Jun 9 14:58:14 AEST 1991

In article <2534 at sud509.ed.ray.com> heiser at tdw206.ed.ray.com (Bill Heiser - Unix Sys Admin) writes:
|I've always been under the impression that a machine should be
|in single user mode before installing a new kernel.  As such,
|I've always brought the machine down before removing /unix and
|installing the new version there.

|If a machine is in a controlled lab environment where no one
|else will be logged in, is there any reason not to install a
|new /unix while in multi-user mode (with me being logged in
|across the ethernet)?  The procedure would be something like this:

|- build new kernel
|- get rid of all logged in users
|- cd /
|- remove (or move) old /unix
|- cp in new unix
|- shutdown -r (or whatever to reboot)

|Is there a problem with this?  All the manuals, etc, always
|say to be in single user.  Is there a reason for that?

The only difficulty with doing it this way is that any program that
tries to read /unix and /dev/kmem (such as "ps") will get grossly
confused.  Multi-user doesn't really matter, nor does having users logged
in, but ps will start behaving a bit strangely...  The /etc/rc.? shutdown
scripts might go a bit nutty if they attempt to do ps's to find out
the pids of stuff they have to kill.  But few (if any) of the shutdown
scripts do that.
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Domain: clewis at ferret.ocunix.on.ca
UUCP: ...!cunews!latour!ecicrl!clewis; Ferret Mailing List:
ferret-request at eci386; Psroff (not Adobe Transcript) enquiries:
psroff-request at eci386 or Canada 416-832-0541.  Psroff 3.0 in c.s.u soon!