installing new kernels

Bill Heiser - Unix Sys Admin heiser at tdw206.ed.ray.com
Fri Jun 7 07:35:22 AEST 1991

I've always been under the impression that a machine should be
in single user mode before installing a new kernel.  As such,
I've always brought the machine down before removing /unix and
installing the new version there.

If a machine is in a controlled lab environment where no one
else will be logged in, is there any reason not to install a
new /unix while in multi-user mode (with me being logged in
across the ethernet)?  The procedure would be something like this:

- build new kernel
- get rid of all logged in users
- cd /
- remove (or move) old /unix
- cp in new unix
- shutdown -r (or whatever to reboot)

Is there a problem with this?  All the manuals, etc, always
say to be in single user.  Is there a reason for that?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Work: heiser at tdw201.ed.ray.com
Home: bill at unixland.natick.ma.us  Public Access Unix/USENET 508-655-3848