E-mail Privacy

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Thu Jun 6 14:42:37 AEST 1991

In article <Nk13311w164w at bluemoon.uucp> sbrack at bluemoon.uucp (Steven S. Brack) writes:

>        Then, if the company wanted to see the manuscipt it lets you use
>        your PC or UNIX account to write, they can?  Most employees
>        expect that their employer would treat them as human beings,
>        not as slaves to be constantly monitored.  If I sent a document
>        in US Mail to someone, then needed a copy of it, if he wouldn't
>        give me one, then a court order would be my only resort.  The
>        situations are fairly analogous.

Did any say anything about this being a personal message??  It's pretty
standard business practice to keep a file copy of all outgoing
correspondence.  (How else are you going to dispute someone's claim
that you promised them the moon...).  I don't see any problem with
the originator, a new person taking over the function, or other
responsible parties having access to those file copies - in fact,
most businesses would require it to function.  Actually I'm surprised
that most email systems don't store a file copy as a matter of course.
I've considered adding it here.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us