Mysterious security hole

James Cameron jc at raven.bu.edu
Sat Jun 22 03:34:41 AEST 1991

>>>>> On 21 Jun 91 11:15:44 GMT, sun at me.utoronto.ca (Andy Sun) said:

|> mike at raven.bv.tek.com (Michael Ewan) writes:

[...deleted message about having '.' in path is bad...]

|> If this is really the case, I am more interested in how that "someone"
|> can write
|> to /, rather than my having '.' at the beginning of my path. There is
|> obviously
|> a bigger security hole somewhere on the system than this if some non-admin
|> people can write to /.

|> Andy

The example of having something in / is bad for obvious reasons.  But
what about /tmp?  A script named say "la" (common type of "ls") which
does a chmod 777 /, sends mail to the person and then echos
"la: Command not found" would do the job nicely.

jc

--
					-- James Cameron  (jc at raven.bu.edu)

Signal Processing and Interpretation Lab.  Boston, Mass  (617) 353-2879