Mysterious security hole

Andy Sun sun at me.utoronto.ca
Fri Jun 21 21:15:44 AEST 1991

mike at raven.bv.tek.com (Michael Ewan) writes:

>Having . in your path (especially root's) is dangerous because someone could put
>a trojan horse program in / (or your home dir) that would execute instead of the
>system command of the same name.  For example:  someone could put a command in / and
>call it 'ls', that was acctually a shell script that did rm -fr /' you'd have a real
>problem.  So if you have . in your path you put it last so destructive shell
>scripts can't masquerade as system commands.  That is you'll get /bin/ls instead
>of ./ls.

If this is really the case, I am more interested in how that "someone" can write
to /, rather than my having '.' at the beginning of my path. There is obviously
a bigger security hole somewhere on the system than this if some non-admin
people can write to /.

Andy

Andy Sun                            | Internet: sun at me.utoronto.ca
University of Toronto, Canada       | UUCP    : ...!utai!me!sun
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering     | BITNET  : sun at me.toronto.BITNET