parameters for (r)dump to an exabyte

Andreas Karrer karrer at bernina.ethz.ch
Fri Jun 21 20:18:29 AEST 1991

karl at thuja.gsfc.nasa.gov (Karl Anderson) writes:

>frazier at oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Greg Frazier) writes:

>|> 	Could somebody give me the appropriate parameters for
>|> doing a dump to an exebyte tape (2 gbyte)?  For the record,
>|> what I just tried was
>|> 	dump 0usdf 6000 54000 /dev/rst1 filesystem
>|> as specified in the man page.  Thanks for any help.
>|> --

>I use b 126 and s 14025.  I don't specify d.  Works like a champ, for
>both local and remote dumps on an all-Sun network.

It would work even better if you used "buffer" as in:

	dump 0f - /dev/rXXX | rsh exahost "buffer -s 126b > /dev/exabyte"

"buffer is a program that forks itself into a reader and a writer process that
communicate thru shared memory. It is written by Lee McLoughlin, Imperial College,
London. If you can't find it enywhere else, it's in
ural.ethz.ch:software/source/buffer.tar.Z.