Network backups (was Re: parameters for (r)dump to an exabyte)

Janet Jackson janet at cs.uwa.oz.au
Tue Jun 25 20:11:51 AEST 1991

In <frazier.677435824 at oahu> frazier at oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Greg Frazier) writes:

>For the curious, here is the context.  I am writing a dump script,

I'd like to know more about your dump script, as I am hoping to avoid
having to write one.  We have a network of Sun workstations, about 25
at last count, two of which have Exabyte drives.  Currently I'm using
a thing called "backup" which supervises dump to do multiple dumps from
one machine to one tape.  I need to do multiple machines as
well - currently got shell scripts supervising backup, but I can't tell
backup how much tape is left after each machine has been dumped.  The
only reason it hasn't failed yet is that I know the file systems I'm
backing up will fit even if they're completely full (which most of them
aren't).  This is not good enough!

So what does/will your dump script do?  (if it's not a secret, of course)

Does anyone have any info about backup software that will back up multiple
filesystems of multiple machines on one or more tapes?  Public-domain,
shareware, or even commercial.

Janet Jackson
(janet at cs.uwa.oz.AU)
Department of Computer Science