POWERstation 320 configuration question

David L. Luner luner at werewolf.cs.wisc.edu
Tue Apr 10 01:32:20 AEST 1990

In article <6866 at ncar.ucar.edu> steve at groucho.ucar.edu (Steve Emmerson) writes:
>The documentation also says that the system may be ordered with an
>internal 320 Megabyte SCSI disk drive as a "select feature" (i.e.
>configured at the plant) to replace the default 120 Megabyte internal
>fixed disk.  I would like to know: 1) if this "select feature" mandates
>the "SCSI high-performance internal/external I/O controller";
>2) whether or not this controller would take up a "feature card slot";
>and 3) whether or not this controller then be available to handle other
>external SCSI devices via the "external connector."

Hello.
  (1) Yes
  (2) Yes
  (3) Yes, but there's some debate on the total number of SCSI devices
      that may be supported (as distinguished from actually work) on that
      adapter. As I recall, the Official Announcement states that only a
      total of four SCSI devices are supported on the controller in this
      situation. On the other hand, I have heard that up to seven will
      in fact work. My secretary, if I had one, would deny I said that.

Given my waffling answer to item (3) I strongly suggest that you
contact your local branch office (or me, when I'm at my desk) to find
out the exact details on any configuration. There is a fine (and
frequently important) line between what will work easily, what will in
fact work and what is officially supported by IBM. The ultimate arbiter
on that last point is the official announcement letter. A similar
statement can be made for pricing.  There are "procedures" for
providing pricing, particularly where discounts are likely to be
involved, e.g. educational prices.

	-- David,
	   working at home and therefore hedging on everything.

David Luner
Systems Engineer
IBM Madison
(608) 273-5243