New product?

Jason Martin Levitt jason at cs.utexas.edu
Sun Feb 11 10:25:01 AEST 1990

In article <109944 at ti-csl.csc.ti.com> steele at m2.csc.ti.com (Jeri Steele) writes:
>One of the Fall UNIX Today's had all the info on the new product.
>Attending the disclosure was almost ho-hum after reading the article.
> ...[stuff deleted]....
>A few words in defense of IBM:
>
>As an AT&T user when the IBM systems engineer wheeled in the RT
>I was sceptical. I figured IBM-UNIX was an oxymoron!
>
>But, when I had problems with the RT, my systems engineer
>was right there.  IBM had him and the regional AIX expert to come with
>me to my customer's site 450 miles away.
>
>...[stuff deleted]... But I for one have had considerably better
>sales & service experiences with IBM than I have had with AT&T.

  Comparing IBM to AT&T isn't much of a comparison. AT&T isn't one
of the big players in the Unix workstation market other than their
development and licensing of SYSVR4, which has little to do with
selling and servicing Unix workstations. A lot of the major complaints
about the RT are equally applicable to the AT&T 3B series. If you
want to make an interesting comparison, look at the latest stuff from
Sun, HP, DEC, and MIPS.

     ---Jason

-----

Jason Martin Levitt    P.O. Box 49860  Austin, Texas 78765  (512) 459-0055
Internet: jason at cs.utexas.edu         | "Disneyland exemplifies the essence of
UUCP    : cs.utexas.edu!hackbox!jason |  the American spirit and continues to
BIX     : jlevitt                     |  show us the way to follow our dreams."