DOS-Merge, X-Windows, and the 8514/A

Rob Miracle rwmira01 at ULKYVX.BITNET
Sun Feb 11 06:36:00 AEST 1990

I have a question (or two) for any one with an answer that will help me.

Setup:
  PS/2 Model 70 (8 Meg, 121 Mbyte HD)
  8514/A Color Monitor/Adapter
  AIX 1.0.0 (With 12/15/89 updates applied)
  DOS Merge
  X-Windows

1.  When going to DOS merge from the shell (Bourn).  DOS does not recoginize
the 8514/A as being their (even though the DOS device driver HDILOAD is being
run in the autoexec.bat file).  How do I tell DOS Merge to get off it's but
and get to work?

2.  When running X-Windows, and trying to load DOS-Merge, why would it start
to boot and then stop until you pressed some keys before it would give you
more of the boot messages?  It almost looks like X-Windows is senseing a buffer
overflow and sending a PAUSE to stop scrolling (CTRL-S).  When you press a key
you get a bit more.  (BTW: This was working fine a month ago, and nothing has
happended to the system, no new products, etc.  Also, the HDILOAD has been
taken out of the Autoexec.bat file just in case it was messing up).

Thanks in advance
Rob
--
Rob Miracle              | Bitnet   : RWMIRA01 at ULKYVX    CIS: 74216,3134
Programmer/Analyst-II    | INTERNET : rwmira01%ulkyvx.bitnet at cunyvm.cuny.edu
University of Louisville | UUCP     : ...psuvax1!ulkyvx.bitnet!rwmira01

"I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that."  -- HAL-9000