Need help with xterm

Anthony M. Richardson amr at dukee.egr.duke.edu
Tue Feb 6 13:12:32 AEST 1990

Hello all!
My research advisor just recently obtained a couple of Model 70's running
AIX and I was lucky enough to get one of them.  I'm having a few problems
and I hope that someone out there can help.  I just subscribed to this
newsgroup today and I hope that I'm not bringing up a worn out topic.

We have IBM's version of X windows which includes a terminal emulator
(aixterm).  I need to use xterm for the Tektronix graphics support and I'm
having some trouble.  I can create xterm windows with no problem under
either aixwm or uwm, but when I try to kill a window by exiting from
it I also seem to kill the X server process.  This only happens when
I create the window via menu selection (I run xterm in the background
from the menu), if I create a new xterm window by typing "xterm &"
then things work fine. The problem appears to be that xterm windows
created via menu selection share the same tty as the X server.
Can anyone tell me the proper way to open an xterm window with menu
selection?

Thanks,
Tony Richardson   amr at dukee.egr.duke.edu

p.s. Although it is probably obvious from the above, I'll say it anyway.
I am not experienced in either Unix or X windows (although I've
learned a lot the last couple of days :-)) so please keep that in mind
in any responses.