backup/restore -s switch question

Steve Roseman lusgr at vax1.cc.lehigh.edu
Sat Feb 24 02:32:35 AEST 1990

(How about an RT question?  Enough 6000 stuff for now.)

I just installed the 2705 Corrective Service update on AIX 2.2.1, and one
the of the installation memo files has me worried.

It states that "if you use -s on backup, you MUST specify it on the restore."
Now, I use   'backup -C2000 -q0v -s5400 -f /dev/rmt0 /' from a standalone
system to backup up my file systems.  I use the -s5400 to try to fill up
my tapes as well as possible.

Now, if I needed to restore my system from the Installation/Maintenance
diskette in event of a disk failure, will I be able to?  Or should I use
the I/M diskette's backup (with it's defaults) and use a few more tapes?  It
is nice to fit the entire system on 5 tapes (1 box.)

Suggestions, comments?

Thanks,
Steve