6000 pricing

Sam Drake drake at sd2.almaden.ibm.com
Sun Feb 25 19:55:50 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb23.080752.8245 at ico.isc.com> rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>drake at sd2.almaden.ibm.com (Sam Drake) writes:
>> The $12,995 system includes the 120MB drive and an Ethernet card.
>> This system should be self-sufficient in a networked (NFS) environment,
>> but I'll grant you that more disk would probably be essential in a
>> stand-alone configuration.
>
>I can parse this statement, but it gets a little confused in the semantic
>analyzer.

Um...on re-reading my earlier statement, it certainly is a bit confusing.
Sorry!  Let me try again:

This system should find many uses in a networked (NFS) environment,
but I'll grand you that more disk would probably be essential in a stand-alone
configuration.

I'm certainly not speaking for my employer, but it seems to me that a
system with an Ethernet connection and minimal disk capacity has a place
(mount most files remotely).  Without the Ethernet more DASD might be
highly desirable.

That's the nice thing about having everything be separately priced;
if you don't need Ethernet, don't put it in.  If you need more disk,
put it in.  But a credible configuration, for some environments, costs
$12,995.

Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center
Internet:  drake at ibm.com            BITNET:  DRAKE at ALMADEN
Usenet:    ...!uunet!ibmarc!drake   Phone:   (408) 927-1861