AIX ICMP Violations

Todd Booth todd at janus.Quotron.com
Fri Feb 9 13:06:18 AEST 1990

Hi.

I've ran into some AIX TCP/IP violations that are causing problems.

RFC 1122, "Requirements for Internet Hosts -- Communication Layers",
(page 39) states "An ICMP error message MUST NOT be sent as the
result of receiving:... "a datagram sent as a link-layer broadcast"

Well one of our PS/2 AIX hosts is sending ICMP Destination unreachable
(Net unreachable) messages in response to Ethernet DL broadcasts and
generating a lot of useless traffic.

Does anyone know how to disable this *feature*?

--todd