Risc System/6000

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.UUCP
Sun Feb 25 06:09:40 AEST 1990

In article <WINDLEY.90Feb21094048 at cheetah.cheetah.ucdavis.edu-> windley at cheetah.ucdavis.edu (Phil Windley/20000000) writes:
->
->In article <5098 at brazos.Rice.edu> schafer at brazos.rice.edu (Richard A. Schafer) writes:
->
->   I just signed on IBMLINK and ran a configuration on the standard grayscale
->   configuration.  I don't come up with the $12,995 price, but did produce the
->   following configuration:
->
->   Powerstation 320   $7475
->   120MB disk         $1950
->   Grayscale adapter  $1395
->   keyboard           $ 255
->   mouse              $ 130
->   mono display       $1295
->		      ------ Hardware total, $12,500
->   AIX 3.0            $1250
->   AIX Xwindows       $ 500
->		      ------ Software total, $ 1,750
->			     Package total,  $14,250
->
->
->
->An IBM ad in the San Francisco Chronicle  yesterday quoted the $12995 price
->for a 320 with gretscale monitor, 8Mb RAM, 120 Mb disk, ethrenet, AIX, and
->AIX Windows.  I don't know what kind of pricing arrangement it is, but
->apparently, they're selling a "complete" machine for that price.

In the product description of the 320 under the heading of Machine
Requirements arr:

	1. IBM Supported ASCII terminal or IBM supported display and keyboard.
	2. AIX Version 3 for RISC  System/6000 (5706-088)

That implies (or is it infers) that you can have a fully operation system for
the $7475 base + $1250 for AIX + $659 (IBM's most expensive of the ASCII line).

That's $9384 for as stripped as you can get.  Makes it cheaper than their
Model 80 line running Unix or Xenix.

In their 6000 overview publication (190-019) I find a few items of interest.

These are direct quotes. "BIM intends to provide a FDDI adapater for the RISC
System/6000 family.  THis interface will allow a RISC System/6000 to attach to
a FDDI 100 Mbps optical LAN."

"IBM intends to prove a Serial Optical Channel ro RISC System/6000 high speed,
inter-processor communications and attachment to future high-bandwidth
devices."

                      : bill at bilver.UUCP