Risc System/6000

Sam Drake drake at sd2.almaden.ibm.com
Fri Feb 23 05:40:29 AEST 1990

In article <13531 at granite.BBN.COM> mlandau at bbn.com (Matt Landau) writes:

>Now given the rumors that the trade press has published quite openly
>about the AIX 3.1 kernel size, I'll let others decide whether *they*
>think 8 MB is enough on a RIOS...)

Matt, don't forget that the AIX 3 kernel is pageable, so "kernel size"
doesn't really say much about memory requirements.  In other *IX systems,
one might take the real memory, subtract the kernel size and then get
worried; the effect is more complex (and less dramatic) with a pageable
kernel.

Opinions are my own!

Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center
Internet:  drake at ibm.com            BITNET:  DRAKE at ALMADEN
Usenet:    ...!uunet!ibmarc!drake   Phone:   (408) 927-1861