New product?

Jeri Steele steele at m2.csc.ti.com
Sat Feb 10 09:15:41 AEST 1990

One of the Fall UNIX Today's had all the info on the new product.
Attending the disclosure was almost ho-hum after reading the article.

I for one am a long time Systems Software programmer [I use
shared memory, lots of forks, signals, etc.]  of UNIX (6+ years) and
I still got excited about this announcement from IBM.  My previous
employer was a IBM Marketing Partner and I signed agreements so I
can't say more.

A few words in defense of IBM:

As an AT&T user when the IBM systems engineer wheeled in the RT
I was sceptical. I figured IBM-UNIX was an oxymoron!

But, when I had problems with the RT, my systems engineer
was right there.  IBM had him and the regional AIX expert to come with
me to my customer's site 450 miles away.  Its quite a sight to have
your company come trooping in with all these IBM folk who take off
their coats, roll up their sleeves, and stay with you till 2 am to
solve the problems!

Their current products aren't perfect.  I hope the new one goes through
more QA than the RT before release.  I pray for the sake of those
that have to talk to mainframes, the new netview & SNA interfaces
are more stable! But I for one have had considerably better
sales & service experiences with IBM than I have had with AT&T.

The above are personal comments have nothing to do with my current
employer....

	Jeri Steele