IBM Technical "support" (was Re: Risc System/6000

Steve Dyer dyer at spdcc.COM
Wed Feb 21 08:49:50 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb20.210628.1503 at lavaca.uh.edu> jet at karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>Having 24 hour support "till we get the job done" is one thing.
>Having *COMPETENT* 24 hour support, that *knows* the system in
>question is another situation all together.
>The only good technical support I've ever gotten is Sun for hardware
>(replacement parts overnight) and DEC for Ultrix support (they
>let me talk to people who know more than how to spell "Ultrix").

You obviously never had to deal with DEC's Ultrix when it first came out.
DEC support couldn't even spell Ultrix, much less give you any help
when you called for assistance.

Assembling a support team takes time, and your favorable experience
with DEC reflects many years of their trying to get it right.  One
hopes that IBM has learned and changed from their RT experience.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer at ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer
dyer at arktouros.mit.edu, dyer at hstbme.mit.edu