Risc System/6000

Jason Martin Levitt jason at cs.utexas.edu
Thu Feb 22 12:25:25 AEST 1990

In article <1791 at ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> dyer at ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>In article <1152 at gort.cs.utexas.edu> jason at cs.utexas.edu (Jason Martin Levitt) writes:
>>  Someone responded to my question about disk space requirements and
>>said that AIX 3.1 will barely fit on a 300mb hard disk.  If it's possible
>>to run some kind of minimal system configuration in 120mb, will someone
>>please confirm it? BTW, they posted the reply to pc.rt or unix.aix.
>
>This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.  NO UNIX system
>requires 120mb of disk, and especially AIX, since it's broken into dozens
>of LPPs which may or may not be installed, depending on the user's available
>space and requirements.  So don't load the Cobol compiler if you have it and
>don't need it.  But don't blame IBM if you can't put everything they sell
>on a smallish disk.

 Great Steve, I'm glad you think it's ridiculous. I want you to know
that *I* think it's ridiculous too. Now, if someone would like to post
some real numbers, we can decide how ridiculous it is.

 Only one person has posted so far, and they seemed to think that it
requires a lot more than 120mb, but they probably have a test machine with
all the LPPs loaded and maybe a lot of debug stuff.

 I would not be at all surprised if AIX 3.1 with C development
tools, NFS, X-windows/Motif, man pages + user friendly junk and swap space
pushed a 120 mb hd to the limit if not further. You might be able to save
some space by eliminating the man pages and user friendly junk :-).

 Are the disk space requirements covered by non-disclosure still?

     ---Jason

-----

Jason Martin Levitt    P.O. Box 49860  Austin, Texas 78765  (512) 459-0055
Internet: jason at cs.utexas.edu         | "The most effective debugging tool is
UUCP    : cs.utexas.edu!hackbox!jason |  still careful thought, coupled with
BIX     : jlevitt                     |  judiciously placed print statements."