file system speed (was Risc System/6000)

Daniel Ehrlich ehrlich at cs.psu.edu
Sat Feb 24 02:44:55 AEST 1990

In article <6238 at orca.wv.tek.com> andrew at frip.WV.TEK.COM (Andrew Klossner) writes:

Andrew> []

Andrew> 	"You cannot get more than 600KB per second out of the
Andrew> 	filesystem in the best of circumstances, and even that is only
Andrew> 	achieved, as far I know, by the MIPS UNIX. Others top out at
Andrew> 	around 300KB per second."

Andrew> This doesn't sound right.  I just tried sequential disk reads from a
Andrew> large file on a Tektronix XD88 (88k-based) workstation and got
Andrew> 650KB/sec.  Even our wimpy 68020-based systems get 450KB/sec.  This
Andrew> through a slow SCSI channel, and the file system is Berkeley FFS.

I can not speak to the speed of the file system on AIX, but it is a `new and
improved' file system. :-) I still have not found all of the details in the
documentation.  It does have an `atomic transaction log' (my term, not
IBM's) that allows fsck to quickly rebuild a damaged file system.  As I wade
through the docs and find more info I will post again.

--
Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich at cs.psu.edu>
Voice: +1 814 863 1142	FAX: +1 814 865 3176