file system speed (was Risc System/6000)

Andrew Klossner andrew at frip.WV.TEK.COM
Fri Feb 23 15:55:23 AEST 1990

[]

	"You cannot get more than 600KB per second out of the
	filesystem in the best of circumstances, and even that is only
	achieved, as far I know, by the MIPS UNIX. Others top out at
	around 300KB per second."

This doesn't sound right.  I just tried sequential disk reads from a
large file on a Tektronix XD88 (88k-based) workstation and got
650KB/sec.  Even our wimpy 68020-based systems get 450KB/sec.  This
through a slow SCSI channel, and the file system is Berkeley FFS.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (uunet!tektronix!frip.WV.TEK!andrew)    [UUCP]
                        (andrew%frip.wv.tek.com at relay.cs.net)   [ARPA]