Risc System/6000

Fred Rump fred at cdin-1.UUCP
Fri Feb 23 10:39:40 AEST 1990

In article <EMV.90Feb22004605 at duby.math.lsa.umich.edu> emv at math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:

<>I stared at the complete price list that I have and have some
<>questions.

<>The memory is completely unfair of course -- no one can order a
<>memoryless workstation no matter how hard you try -- the other way to
<>look at it is that memory is currently costing $100/MB in commodity
<>SIMM parts, or 2-3x that in semi-proprietary designs, figure $1200 for
<>the card carrier to hold the simms and the memory is overpriced by a
<>factor of two.

Isn't that how all of IBM's prices are arranged?  How else could they offer
close to 50% off to the market and still make money?

No one has yet spoken off 'real' prices yet. It's been all list. Who buys IBM
at list?

Let's wait for some street prices and see where things fall.
fred

--
Fred Rump              | UUCP:  {uunet bpa dsinc}!cdin-1!fred
CompuData, Inc.        |  or ...{allegra killer gatech!uflorida decvax!ucf-cs}