New product?

Keith Perkins n245bq at tamunix
Fri Feb 16 10:12:32 AEST 1990

In article <2924 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>According to the New York Times IBM just announced that NeXT software
>>will run on the RT.
>
>Err, umm, umm, err, the NYTimes may be slightly confused, I dunno.  IBM
>*did* license NeXTStEP from nEXt - a big hoopla was made about this a
>while ago - although I'm not sure what NExtSTep really means; does it
>include just the Objective-C stuff and libraries, or does it include the
>nExT's window server?  I.e., will IBM offer the Display PostScript
>server that NeXT uses, or will they offer some other DPS server, or have
>they retargeted NeXTStep to run atop raw X11 or something like that?
>
>However, I don't know that this can be translated to "NeXT software will
>run on the RT"; NeXT's Mach may not necessarily be 100% compatible with
>AIX, and NeXT *binaries* won't run unless RIOS is nice and whizzy and
>fast and can simulate a 68030 at reasonable speed, or they have an
>object-to-object compiler from 68K to America....

>From what I understand from listening to the comp.sys.next newsgroup,
NeXTstep is source compatible onto the IBM AIX. I don't know how they
did it, but Ali Ozer from NeXT mentioned on the net that all the demos
that are availible on the NeXT cube can be compiled directly on the
NeXTstep for the IBM AIX.

On another note, MIT should be releasing soon the X-Windows port for
the NeXTstep. Beta testing versions were sent out to selected individuals
sometime in January. The word is that X-11 exists inside a window on the
NeXTstep interface.

Keith Perkins
n245bq at tamunix.tamu.edu
Texas A&M University