New product?

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Fri Feb 9 16:18:19 AEST 1990

>According to the New York Times IBM just announced that NeXT software
>will run on the RT.

Err, umm, umm, err, the NYTimes may be slightly confused, I dunno.  IBM
*did* license NeXTStEP from nEXt - a big hoopla was made about this a
while ago - although I'm not sure what NExtSTep really means; does it
include just the Objective-C stuff and libraries, or does it include the
nExT's window server?  I.e., will IBM offer the Display PostScript
server that NeXT uses, or will they offer some other DPS server, or have
they retargeted NeXTStep to run atop raw X11 or something like that?

However, I don't know that this can be translated to "NeXT software will
run on the RT"; NeXT's Mach may not necessarily be 100% compatible with
AIX, and NeXT *binaries* won't run unless RIOS is nice and whizzy and
fast and can simulate a 68030 at reasonable speed, or they have an
object-to-object compiler from 68K to America....

Lacking inside information, I'd simply be inclined to wait for the
announcement before trying to guess what the new hardware and software
will do about NeXT applications.