where is stdio.h?

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM
Sun Jan 14 05:04:51 AEST 1990

In article <990 at wubios.wustl.edu> david at wubios.UUCP (David J. Camp) writes:

[ David has installed the C compiler but cannot find the 'cc' command or
[ standard include files like <stdio.h>

I believe I have posted something along these lines before, but once again
for everyone's benefit....

IBM has a rather unusual packaging scheme. The AIX system is divided up
into what they call LPP's (Licensed Program Product). In IBM's scheme of
things the C compiler is just that, the compiler. Now the 'cc' front end
does other things beside call the C compiler, if it is given input of a
file with a '.s' it will call the assembler, if a '.o' it will call the
linker, if '.f' it will call the fortran compiler...and so on. Similarly
for the standard include files, they are used by a number of different
programs. Thus IBM breaks these programs out in another LPP, which is
called ADT which stands for Advanced Development Tools. This is sort of
the foundation package for any particular language package. You should
therefore obtain and install this LPP in addition to any particular
language compiler, like C, Pascal, Cobol, or Fortran (all of which are
available). If your reseller did not include this LPP you should go rag
on them for not being properly informed about the product they sell.

Disclaimer: These are my views, not necessarily IBM's or LCC's (even if
	    they do happen to be correct :-} )

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at ifs.umich.edu