RCS on PS2/AIX1.1

Math/CWP jkcohen at csm9a.UUCP
Thu May 3 05:14:41 AEST 1990

This is a summary of the responses to and outcome of the issue of
installing Walter Tichy's NEW rcs program on AIX for PS/2 version 1.1.

My thanks to the many people who pointed me to "ftp anonymous"
at Purdue and especially to Ed Vielmetti (umich) who led me
through it by the hand.  Summary:the latest version of RCS is
available via:   ftp arthur.cs.purdue.edu

Thanks to Steve Eick of ATT and Dan Trinkle at Purdue for the key hints.
However any misinformation below is solely my responsibility.

Changes made to the code texts in the rcs/src directory:
Makefile:
	If you are using csh, explicitly set SHELL = /bin/sh
	Set DIFF, DIFF3 to a diff that has the -n option (see NOTE2)
	Choose OS = -DUSG
	Choose SIGNAL_TYPE = int
	Change INSTALL = mv (non-optimal kludge)

rcs.c, rlog.c:
	Change declaration extern free() to extern void free()

rcsutil.c:
	Redefine SIG_IGN before it is used as follows:
	#define SIG_IGN (int(*)())1

Note1:	In compiling rcsutil, you'll be warned that VOID and SIG_IGN
	are being redefined.  Don't worry, be happy.

Note2:	As the first instruction in the /src/Makefile says, diff is no
	longer distributed with rcs.  The Aix diff does not have the
	needed -n option, so you have to do something.  I had the rdiff
	and rdiff3 from an older release already installed, so I used
	those.  Steve Eick loaded down GNU diff and used that.
--
Jack K. Cohen
jkc at dix.mines.colorado.edu