A couple of hardware questions about the 6000

Geoff Coleman geoff at edm.uucp
Sun May 27 15:34:53 AEST 1990

Ok I know this isn't the newsgroup for these questions but it
really does seem better than any of the RT groups so here goes.

We have a RS-6000/320 which we have had running solid for over two weeks
with about five programmers using it daily on ASCII screens. Thursday night
it suddnely crashed with an out of process message. Since someone was
starting up a 40 user benchmark at the time we assumed that that was the
problem. Then Friday morning the machine went into interactive boot mode
finally we decided that the problem must be the new phone system that was
installed on Thursday. The phone system was about two feet from the 320.
We moved the 320 and it has been up for 2.5 days now no problem. Since we
also have a Convergent Mighty Frame about the same distance from the phone
system and have had no problems with it I'm wondering if these new boxes
are prone to EMI.

Second question is has anyone out there had luck in putting third party scsi
devices on a 6000. We are especially interested in putting on a 60 Mbyte
cartridge tape unit ( for distribution of software to other machines) but
any experiences in attaching third party scsi devices would be appreciated.

Is there any way to change some of the kernel paramaters like maxproc
on version 3.??? of AIX ????

Geoff Coleman
Unexsys Systems