A couple of hardware questions about the 6000

Geoff Coleman geoff at edm.uucp
Mon May 28 13:50:37 AEST 1990

>From article <18345 at rpp386.cactus.org>, by jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II):
-> In article <1990May27.053453.23166 at edm.uucp> geoff at edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) writes:
->>Is there any way to change some of the kernel paramaters like maxproc
->>on version 3.??? of AIX ????
->
-> Paging space is the only limiting factor on maximum number of processes.
-> I believe there are 128K process slots in the process table.

	Yes you are correct in saying that the number of process slots is
large (it is 131071 on my present load 9005K). But what concerns me is the
value of maxproc being 40. This number was obtained from the var command
within crash. Does this not mean that any user (other than root of course)
is limited to 40 processes at once?
	Note I am not posting this as a bug because for reasons beyond my
control I am unable to upgrade to 9013., but there appears no way to change
this number from within SMIT or any other root. Some "tunables are still in
use such as ulimit which you change through /etc/security/limits but there
is no obvious way to change maxproc there.

	Also if anyone has sucessfuly got a bidirectional modem line working
on a 6000 could they please post this or drop me a e-mail note.

Thanks

->
-> --
-> John F. Haugh II                             UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh
->

Geoff Coleman
Unexsys Systems
Edmonton, Alberta

"If these are in fact opinions then they must be mine"