how do you do a nonblock read?

Sofus Macskassy sofmac at porthos.rutgers.edu
Wed May 9 10:30:15 AEST 1990

Hello... I've been trying for a couple of months now to do a
nonblocking read on my unix system (aix), on a ps2/70.  I have not yet
been able to find somethingh that works though.  I tried using select,
just to find out that my system doesn't have that... I've tried using
fcntl and setting O_NDELAY on, and doing a read(0, &buf, 1) but that
will still buffer and wait for a carriage return/newline.  How would I
go about doing a nonblocking read that would give me back a character
at a time... something like a 'keypressed' function?  Any ideas are
welcome and would be greatly appreciated.

Sofus Macskassy
sofmac at porthos.rutgers.edu