Importing existing passwd and group file to aix 3.1

John F. Haugh II jfh at greenber.austin.ibm.com
Fri Nov 30 05:25:44 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov29.095750.24464 at ioe.lon.ac.uk> teexand at ioe.lon.ac.uk (Andrew Dawson) writes:
>In <532 at texhrc.UUCP> ldm at texhrc.UUCP (Lyle Meier) writes:
>> A second related question. We have a central administration for uid's.
>> If one creates a user using SMIT how can one set the uid for the user
>> short of going thru the change user mechanism?
>
>This is quite difficult. SMIT seems to allocate uid's on a next free basis.
>I think there is a file in /etc/security (.ids ???) containing the next number
>to allocate. You may be able to edit this just before running smit mkuser.

I changed the "Add A User" SMIT panel because there were so many
requests for this functionality.  The "new" answer to this problem
is to call the 800 number and get the latest level of the code
for SMIT and MKUSER.  With that update you will get a new SMIT
dialog for "Add A User" and a new version of MKUSER which supports
the "id=###" option.

The new SMIT panel gives you the option to set just about everything
that CHUSER gave you access to.
--
John F. Haugh II       | This space intentionally |    MaBellNet: (512) 838-4330
SneakerNet: 809/1C079  |      left blank ...      |      VNET: LCCB386 at AUSVMQ