XStation 120 - AIXWindows vs. real X11 - *SOLVED*

Kai Martin Mezger mezger at dia.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Nov 23 20:21:26 AEST 1990

In <4282 at awdprime.UUCP> robin at sabre.austin.ibm.com (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) writes:

>In article <MEZGER.90Nov18215800 at dia.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> mezger at dia.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Kai Martin Mezger) writes:
>>
>>We are running some of those XStation 120 pizza-boxes connecting to a
>>RISC/6000 320 via thin-wire ethernet.
>>Did anybody on the net solve this or similar ?
>>802.3 ?!?) ?

>802.3 will not be supported until after the 3002 update and an EC upgrade to
>the EtherNET hardware on the Xstation.

The solution is indeed to ifconfig -ieee those machines you have
problems to connect to. Symptoms are: xterm to XStation hangs. As long
as you don`t have really good reasons for IEEE 802.3, running plain
vanilla Ethernet V2 won`t hurt.

Btw.: Using the "native" fonts for the XStations doesn`t give them a
boost, but some of the users at least claim to "feel" a performance
increase. Did someone MEASURE this.

BUT: increasing the on-board memory will help. IMHO it`s PS/2 SIMMs
like those your friendly memory-dealer around the corner sells for some
bucks. At least those InsufficientResources-Errors disappear.

TNX 2 ALL

Martin

|Kai Martin Mezger          BITNET: mezger%dia%ifistg at unido.bitnet,	      |
|				 or MEZGER AT DS0LILOG.BITNET	              |
|Student 		     local: mezger at dia				      |
|Universitaet Stuttgart       UUCP: ...!uunet!unido!ifistg!dia!mezger         |
|BR Deutschland	          Internet: mezger at dia.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de    |
|		     X.400: mezger at dia.ifi.informatik.uni-stuttgart.dbp.de    |