Help! I can't login

Robin D. Wilson/1000000 robin at sabre.austin.ibm.com
Tue Nov 27 03:30:21 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov25.195331.11670 at portia.Stanford.EDU> glowell at portia.Stanford.EDU (gary lowell) writes:
>The only problem I have left is the port permissions.  I set the
>permissions on /dev/tty0 to 666 so that ordinary users might use
>cu on the port.  But everytime the system touches the port, login/logoff
>for example, the permissions are reset to 662 which prevents everyone
>except root from using cu on that port thereafter.

You can change the owner of /bin/cu to 'root' and set the permissions to 	4555.  (This may have serious security repercussions tho'...)  This will 	allow "cu" to run with the UID of the owner (which you set to 'root').  The	"real" solution for this problem is being worked through defect support and
final solution will not be available for at least two updates (>3004).

I am not real sure where the default port permissions are set, but I know that
this was changed for a "security enhancement".

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!sabre.austin.ibm.com!robin             |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)823-4526                       |