Problem when linking fairly large FORTRAN object files

flatau flatau at handel.CS.ColoState.Edu
Fri Nov 16 16:43:02 AEST 1990

I am having problems linking (fairly large, 30K lines) FORTRAN program
on RISC6000/320 AIX3.1 + 3002 (September) update, 16Mb:

I have a library, say "rams.a"  made with "ar r" command.
This library contains about 10  modules (approx 1000 lines each),
and each module contains several FORTRAN subroutines (i.e. I am
NOT fsplitting them).

Next, I am linking several *.o files with

xlf -o ramsexe  *.o rams.a

this results in unsatisfied external refs, even though, I am
certain these externals are in the library. I have traced the
problem a bit further: seems like removing one particular
object file from *.o list makes the problem to go away.
However, this particular object file is not unusual in any way.

If I  keep the library in the object form and link everything
(model + library) as

xlf -o ramsexe *.o
(i.e. *.o contains all objects needed)

the executable is created and no problem with unsatisfied
externals appears. However, all objects have to be in ONE
subdirectory.

Clues:
a) I tried the same procedure on SUN -- the library stuff
works just as expected.
b) I tried the same procedure on RISC600 but
with small files and it works.
c) If I fsplit files before making the library, the problem goes away.

Questions:
1) Are there any problems on RISC6000 when linking many, fairly large,
objects ?
2) Any suggestions ?

Peter