Problems building GNU Emacs 18.55

Steve Roseman lusgr at vax1.cc.lehigh.edu
Tue Nov 20 01:23:38 AEST 1990

--

I would like to clarify the situation about the files at byron.  Several people
in the past have said basically the same as the above - "I got the files but

I have sent Eliot Lim at Washington a replacement 'shar' file which he will
put up as individual files or as a shar file, but is complete and not confusing.
I have built GNU Emacs from this and a fresh 18.55 distribution.  (That's how
I found out the Makefile patch was wrong.)  The new files should be available
in a few days, when the system administrator for byron gets back to town.  Note
that there are no code changes to these files; if you have Emacs running you
don't need them.  If you are having troubles, get the README-18.55 and follow
it.  This is not meant to be a personal flame - I don't always read the READMEs
carefully either.

For some good news, I have working unexaix.c, revised by someone who will
remain nameless until he is satisfied with its quality.  When he is done,
it will be made available, and his name published, so that the thanks may be
directed to the gentleman who put in a lot of work to make our RS/6000s run
a bit faster.  However, don't ask for it yet, wait a few more days.  If IBM can
preannounce things, why can't we?

Now, has anyone done the work on X-Windows?

Steve